These are some of the stories we’ve been following this week.
- The new minimum wage in Seattle took effect at the start of the year with a new rate of $15 an hour.
- Australia is using a sovereign wealth fund to lead the way in investing in a tech startup company.
- Port of Portland is suing Monsanto over the company allegedly polluting rivers with contaminants.
- Tennessee officials want the Tennessee Valley Authority to release data on water pollution. Environmentalists believe TVA could be doing more to protect local waterways from pollution.
- Ash waste from an Australian power plant could be converted into building material. The move could also create hundreds of new jobs.
- Property values in the Canadian city of Calgary dropped four percent in the past year.
- The Environmental Protection Agency released its final report on hydraulic fracturing. In the report the EPA states that the drilling practice can impact drinking water in some instances.
- Wyoming boasts the highest underground storage tank compliance in the country.
- Homeowners may not be happy with the proposed tax plan being considered by Congress.